28.1.10

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!

I shouldn't be so excited about the posibility of up to a half-foot of snow, but I am. I shouldn't be, because the extreme cold, plus the humidity and changes in barametric pressures that comes along with snow storms (well, any storms) will probably wreak havoc on my body, having POTS, but in so many ways I am like a little kid. I just wish that I was still in elementary, middle or high school so I could get a snow day, but with my college schedule, even if they do call off school tomorrow, it wouldn't matter since I don't go to to school on Friday (or Thursdays, either).

The past few days, I have been having some pretty bad symptoms as this storm has been cooking up (with all of the changes, especially rising, of the barometric pressure), but again, in some ways I am really happy because that means that, unless the temperature raises a few degrees, we're going to be hit pretty hard. My mail carrier mother isn't too happy about the possibility (or probability) of delivering in the snow, but.... "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these courageous couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds". She also isn't too happy about the idea of me driving 45 minutes away to Knoxville on Sunday to go to church (she's trying to convince me that it's going to be canceled... Catholics don't call off church due to weather, even if only one person attends... Sunday is a Holy Day of Obligation, which doesn't apply to someone who truely cannot make it to Mass due to illness or other obstacles). But, with the help of St. Christopher, my AWD Subaru Forrester, and the fact that I'm leaving about an hour earlier than I need to (if I get there early, well... I need to pray anyways, and I do better with praying when I'm with the Eucharistic presense of Christ) I'm going.

Of course, I say I'm going to church now, but with the way that just the snow storm coming in is making me feel, I am somewhat concerned how bad off I'll be when it actually gets here. Yet another thing that I don't like about POTS.... Just the uncertainty of how I'll be able to function even the day (or hours) before, therefore I hate planning anything right now, and I hate committing to doing something, because I just don't know if I'll even be able to.

Speaking of planning, I have 2 doctor's appointments in a week, one with a gastrointestinal physician and one with a geneticist. I've been having horrible stomach problems for several years, but they've finally gotten to the point of where I'm having trouble just ignoring them. Besides, I got to where I didn't like GI docs, because they're the ones that accused me of having psychosomatic stomach pain and nausea (which sometimes lead to vomiting) when in actuality I needed to have my gallbladder taken out (which happened 5 years after my first GI appointment). The geneticist is to see whether or not I have Ehlers-danlos syndrome, a so-called hypermobility disoder. Not just my joints are hypermoble, but I suspect that my blood vessels and stomach/intestines are as well, causing all kinds of problems, including the POTS and my stomach issues. I hope to find out if there is maybe another path I need to take in treating my illnesses.

No comments: