30.1.10

Why, oh why???

Why did I think that trying to go sledding was such a brilliant idea? I'm begining to see that I am really a kid trapped in an 80 year old's body... I managed to make three passes through the snow with my sled, kept getting spit out, because my sled is made for 2-3 inches of snow, not the 7 inches that we actually got (here, in East Tennessee!!). After the second run, I started seeing spots, was out of breath, and my pulse got really, really high (I didn't check it, but it felt like it was over 150)... and yet, being the stubborn person I am, I went one more time, which almost did me in. I barely made it back to the house... I kept trying to walk in the tracks I made on the way down, but I couldn't step that wide. If we hadn't gotten the small layer of sleet about 2 this morning that made a crust on top of everything (with even more snow on top of that), I would have just shuffled my feet, but the few times I tried that, I almost ended up face down in the snow. I almost called my dad, who was in the house maybe 50 yards away, to come and get me in his car. Even worse than that, when I got thrown out of the sled, I landed on my right knee, the one that I had surgery on this past November and that still isn't completely healed up... UGH!!!! At least I made it back home in one piece... I'm just hoping that I won't pay a really big price for it later on.

My mother, the mail carrier, wasn't able to do much on her route... she delievered something like 25 boxes, and after getting stuck in the snow a few times, and then actually going off into a ditch, decided it was too hazardous to continue... all of her co-workers agreed. I'm glad that they are home safely. I suppose since, when I was younger, I knew quite a few rural mail carriers, and had access to the 'grapevine', I heard about some mail carriers actually getting severly injured, or worse, killed while on the route. Not to sound prideful, but there was a time that I knew more about the Postal Service, and the rural carrier craft than some of the employees. I don't keep up with it so much anymore, but it's frightening to think that I still know more about the job than those employed.

I still am determined to make the usually 45 minute drive to Church tomorrow... I saw a plow come down the road, and if they have come here, they already have taken care of the main roads. Again, with a prayer and my AWD Forrester, I will be there. I will be leaving an hour earlier than I normally do to allow extra time. Again, though, I might wake up and barely be able to move without my pulse jumping to over 130. I am ardently praying that I won't pay for my little adventure.

No comments: