4.1.11

Them bones, them bones, them thin bones

My bones are confused. Or very lazy. I don't know. They are like a 70 year old's bones, lack of calcium and all. Perhaps that is why I have had bone pain for so long. Maybe that is why my neck and back are hurting like crazy all of the time. In any case, I am still somewhat shocked (although, with the EDS, should I be surprised?) that I have osteoporosis. Dr. Henderson diagnosed me this past week when I saw him about my other neurological concerns that may or may not be connected with EDS.

I have many other conditions that should concern me more, but perhaps it is the fact that I saw first hand what osteoporosis does to a body (my grandmother had it), especially when one cannot be mobile, it scares me much more, even than Barrett's esophagus, which I know is more than likely to turn into cancer one day.

I also have a Type 0 Chiari. Basically, I have all of the symptoms of an Arnold-Chiari malformation (occipital headache, balance issues, nerve pain and numbness), but my cerebral tonsils don't descend (at least >1mm) past the foramen magnum. This is a particularly controversial type of Chiari, as it seems that at least half of doctors polled don't believe that it is a true condition. These may be the same doctors that believe that the symptoms of Chiari must correspond to the size of the herniation. In any case... I don't know nearly as much as I should about the Type 0 Chiari, so the next few months will be filled with much research. The fact that it is causing symptoms is concern enough for me.

There are a few other things that I feel I should mention right now... but as I am quite unable to hold open my eyes, or hold up my head, I'll end here.

2 comments:

em said...

im sorry. have they started you on calcium tablets + vit d? i have osteopenia, i put off taking the tabs, yet a year down the line a professor convinced me to take them. xxx

Ericka McCarty said...

I'm taking calcium and vit d. I've also changed my diet, to make sure I get more of it in food, and not from dairy (since I'm lactose intolerant) as I know it is more easily absorbed from food than supplements.