2.12.10

My thorn in the flesh is a gift

I am a Monk fan (that is Adrian Monk, the TV show... although I like the monks with cowls and scapulars, too, of course). So much that I was disturbed that it was ended at the 8th season instead of the 10th season (since 10 is Monk's favorite number... I should get a life!). In any case, one of the most frequently said phrases in the show was used to describe his OCD was "It is a gift, and a curse." It was a gift in that it allowed him to see even the smallest details that lead to the cracking of the case, but it cursed him because of the limiting of his function and the pain that it caused him (maybe not physical, but psychological pain can be just as debilitating).

I know that for most people in society, all suffering is bad and is to be avoided. And well, yes, suffering is painful, unpleasant, and I know that for me, a lot that I have experienced has been as a direct result of my own stupid actions and/or inactions. But not all suffering is bad, including innocent suffering. I can remember how much horror I felt the first time I heard that statement from my priest. He went on to explain that salvation came to the world through suffering (and well, crucifixion was no cakewalk, again, as Fr. has said). He humbled Himself, was born of a human mother, and lived for 33 years on this earth, in human form (I will get further into the hypostatic union, of His full humanity and divinity at the same time later). He lowered Himself to enact the healing of the effects of Adam's and Eve's sin on humanity, and to restore humanity to its original dignity that was lost by our first parents.

Because of His salvific act, He has invited us to be members of His body; some toes, some hands, some hearts, etc, with Him at the head. And because He has called us to pick up our crosses daily and follow and imitate him, that does involve suffering. His own suffering did cover the cost of our sins, but in His own generosity, like He allows humanity to take part in creation (through being able to reproduce), He grants humanity the ability to share in His salvific work, to suffer for the body of Christ, His church. From St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians: "Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ's afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church." The few passages before this verse, St. Paul has described how he as been beaten, chained, shipwrecked, half-starved, and endured many other sufferings, many things that I am thankful I do not go through. And yet, even after that, through the grace of God, he was able to pen such a beautiful verse.

And so, I know that I am not worthy of this gift from God, and yet, He is shaping me to be worthy of it, day by day, because of His goodness. And I know that it is through His grace that I am also able to join with St. Paul, and say I am thankful I am able to suffer for the Kingdom.

No comments: